Monday, September 27, 2010

You did WHAT with the Olive Oil???

I have struggling for what seems like forever with my skin (on my face). It seems like certain products provide the anti-aging properties I am looking for, but cause me to break out...ugh. Other products I've used take care of my (mild) acne issues, but dry my skin out! Well, I've been doing some research and even considering making some organic "concoctions" for lotions, etc. when I stumbled upon SEVERAL web pages where people were talking about the miracle of Olive Oil! I have honestly NEVER heard of anyone "cleansing" with Olive Oil before, but the stories I read were so amazing--even people with eczema said it worked wonders without making their skin oily or causing breakouts! I had just been to my dermatologist that morning for my yearly "skin check" and was discussing facial products with her coincidentally. Well, after reading these posts, I figured, "Why not?"  I have a huge amount of Organic Olive Oil that I purchased at Earth Fare recently, so why not give it a go? Worst case, I break out and stop using it. Best case, it really is a miracle treatment!
So that night I did what others posted they did. I rubbed some Olive Oil all over my face. Then, I soaked a washcloth in hot water and wrung it out. Next, I placed it over my face and let the steam open my pores (which feels really nice too!). I used the washcloth to wipe away any remaining oil which also made me no longer smell like salad dressing! =o) My skin felt SO soft! So here I am 6 days later, and I have to say, my skin is looking better than it has in a long time! No chemicals needed! I have been cleansing with Olive Oil morning and night (which by the way even takes off the most stubborn waterproof eye makeup!), and only using a fragrance free moisturizer with SPF under my mineral powder makeup in the morning. That's it!  It doesn't leave your skin oily. In fact, my skin tends to be on the dry side, so sometimes I'll pat a small amount of the oil on my face even after wiping away.  (I've read of other people dabbing castor oil on spots that are more acne prone before applying the Olive Oil, as well as splashing on cold water after wiping the oil off to close up their pores as well.)
I just wanted to share this bizarre and helpful tip! Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!
Here is a photo of my "Olive Oil Container" that has a little hole for pouring under the cap. I think I got it for $1 in the trial size travel section at Target.

















Enjoy!

=o)
Jen

2 comments:

  1. That's funny. I actually tried this some time ago. I have decided that Olive Oil is a bit too thick for me. I have tried Sweet Almond Oil - this smells good. Avocado oil - I like this one. And my most recent dabbling in oils - unrefined Coconut Oil - this smells REALLY good. I mostly like to use either the Avocado Oil or the Coconut Oil for my dry areas. I do not use commercial moisturizer, and I have not used soap on my face for almost 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that Tea Tree oil - diluted - is also good for acne. I just bought Emma some face pads with Tea Tree oil, and they work really well!

    ReplyDelete