Saturday, September 4, 2010

Crepes: a small very thin pancake

I have been so excited to try out new recipes and make them my own by using organic ingredients!  I am starting to realize that just about ANY recipe can be altered and made healthier!  I am proud to say that EVERY single ingredient down to the syrup and peanut butter I used on the finished product was organic!  There is something so satisfying about knowing you are making the best choices for your family.

I have NEVER made crepes before!  I just recently finally mastered making pancakes--well, I don't know if mastered is the best choice of words, but I'm getting better.  My husband is still the "master pancake maker" in this house. 

I found this recipe for crepes on one of my new favorite sites, Weelicious
Here is the recipe I used from that site:

Crepes (Makes 14 Crepes)

2 Eggs
1 Cup Flour
3/4 Milk
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
2 Tbsp Butter, melted
Butter for sauteing

1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree.
2. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight (this helps the bubbles to settle and the crepes not to tear).
3. Grease a saute pan or crepe pan with butter. Pour in 2 tbsp of batter and swirl to cover the pan.
4. Cook for 1 minutes, flip and continue to cook another 30 seconds or until just starting to become golden.
5. Remove to a plate and continue to make remaining crepes.
6. Spread with apple butter, almond butter, mashed bananas, fruit preserves or any other favorite filling.
7. Roll into a cigar shape.
8. Serve.

*After step 5, allow to cool, place crepes on a sheet tray, layer a piece of parchment paper between each crepe, place in ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and heat in a dry pan for 30 seconds on each side and follow steps 5-8.


Now I've got to say, the recipe says it makes 14 crepes, and by golly, it makes 14 crepes! Well, that is if you don't count the first two I totally messed up! =o) There is something about the first pancake (or two) that never comes out right for me! 
I started later than I had planned so the batter only sat in the refrigerator for an hour. I just left it in the blender after I pureed it, and stuck it in there. When I made the actual crepes, I poured the batter from the blender into a Tablespoon (twice!) right into the pan and rolled it around to spread it evenly. I am such a rule follower that I set the microwave for each crepe for 60 seconds for the first side and 30 for the second! Needless to say, the timing was perfect!
My kids ate them all but ONE! They loved them! We had a "breakfast for dinner" meal that night, and I served it with some organic bacon that I purchased at Earth Fare. Alexa had some of her crepes rolled up and dipped in syrup, spread with peanut butter and rolled up, and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and rolled up. Carter preferred his plain.  Either way they were a big hit!
I don't have the best photos of them, just this one, but I think you'll get the idea. They disappeared so fast, I didn't have a chance to take more photos!















Enjoy!
=o)
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment