Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sweet Beet cookies can't be "beet"!

I found this interesting recipe on Weelicious that I thought was worth trying.  I'm pretty lucky in that my kids are pretty great vegetable eaters, but still, it can't hurt to add a bit more to their diet, right?  These cracker-like cookies actual have a 1/2 cup of raw grated beets in them!!  Crazy, huh?  What's even crazier is that my kids actually REALLY liked them!!!
Here is the recipe:

Sweet Beet Cookies (Makes about 50 – 1 inch square cookies)

1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Raw Beets, shredded fine*
2 Tbsp Oil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Here is my peeled and ready-to-grate beet!

 












Grated with my Adjustable Microplane Grater (Pampered Chef)!  I grated more than needed so I divided it up and froze it in portions for future use.


2. Combine the first four ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Using your hands, add the beets to the flour mixture coating the beet pieces with the flour.

 
 
4. Add the oil and work with your hands to bring the dough together (the salt and sugar will fall to the bottom of the bowl so make sure you knead the dough well to combine everything — the outcome will be a smooth dough).

It actually looked like the color of ground beef!















5. Form the smooth, sweet beet dough into a flat rectangular disk and roll it out 1/2 inch thick on parchment paper or a dry clean surface.

I had some help!  =o)



















6. Using a knife, cut the dough into squares or use small cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
















7. Bake on a Silpat or parchment-lined cookie sheet for 15-17 minutes. 
I had mine in for 15 minutes and burned the bottom of some of them.  I made 45 total instead of 50, but I think I made them too thin.















8. Cool and serve.














*You can only use RAW fine shredded beets for this recipe. Using canned beets will not work because of the thickness of the beets and they are already cooked.
*These cookies are best stored on the counter in an air-tight container.


Here is the proof that they passed the little kid test for tastiness! 



















Enjoy!
=o)
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment