Saturday, September 4, 2010

Slow Cooker Firecracker Chili! Awwww yeah!

Chili is great when it's hot in the Summer and great when it's cold in the Winter!  So basically, Chili is good any time of the year! 
I dug out my Crockpot because quite honestly, with all the craziness of school starting, I just wanted to have a meal that would cook itself and provide me leftovers all at the same time!  The only precooking involved in this recipe is the ground beef, which, quite honestly, I feel is the way to go so you avoid that thick layer of grease at the top.  When you brown it in the pan first, you are insuring that 1) it is cooked and 2) you've removed and drained any unnecessary fat and cholesterol--win win! Plus, by using grassfed beef, you are adding meat that is healthier and lower in fat to begin with!
This recipe is adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes.

Firecracker Chili

1 lb. ground beef
(I used grassfed beef)
1 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained
1 cup chopped celery
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, chopped
(I used 2!)
1 14.5 oz. can tomatoes, cut up
1 10 oz. can chopped tomatoes and green chili peppers
1 cup spicy vegetable juice
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
(I used 3!)
3 to 4 tsp. chili powder (I added 4!)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese - 2 oz.
(optional)
1/4 to 1/3 cup sour cream (optional)

1. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef until brown. Drain fat.
2. In a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker, combine beef, beans, celery, onion, sweet pepper, and jalapeno peppers. Add undrained tomoatoes, vegetable juice, tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, and cumin.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Serve!


Again, I was able to find almost all the ingredients I used in Organic form, with the exception of the can of chopped tomatoes and green chili peppers and the spices. I added an extra garlic clove to my chili--I usually add one more than whatever the recipe calls for because garlic is just that awesome! Also, I added the word "optional" to the cheese and sour cream because quite honestly, the chili is so good that I didn't think they were even necessary.

I used my Pampered Chef Food Chopper for the celery, onions, peppers, and jalapenos--it worked AWESOME! SO quick and easy and so little mess!

The jalapeno peppers that I used were straight out of my garden! I love when I can use produce that I have planted--such a great feeling!
Here are some of the photos that I took of the chili. We served it side-by-side with some Organic jasmine rice.

Jalapenos fresh from the garden!














My Crockpot after 8 hours on the low-heat setting!

















Dinner is served!!!

Enjoy!
=o)
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment