Monday, August 23, 2010

Apple Banana Muffins! Yum!

So although I didn't have a lot of energy to put toward dinner tonight, I did want to whip up a dessert! I found this really fun web site, Weelicious, that is full of great and simple kid-friendly recipes. I had all the ingredients to make Apple Banana Muffins, so I gave it a go!
Instead of using all purpose flour, I decided to use Arrowhead Mills gluten-free all purpose baking mix (73% organic). All of the ingredients I used were organic except for the baking powder and baking soda--not sure if there is an organic version of these or not? The recipe calls for Agave as the sweetener which is supposed to be healthier than sugar and have a lower glycemic index. I purchased the Agave at Costco, and it was relatively inexpensive. This is the first time I was able to bake with it!

Anyway, the recipe says it makes 24-28 mini muffins, however I ended up making 48 mini muffins and still had a little batter left!

They were delicious and a super big hit!
Oh, and before I forget--here is the recipe!

Apple Banana Muffins

1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon
3 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Agave OR Honey
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Bananas, mashed
1 Medium Apple, peeled and grated (Gala, Pink Lady, Fuji or Golden Delicious are good choices)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Grease a muffin tin or line it with muffin cups and fill each cup 3/4 full with the batter.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Serve.


Enjoy!
=o)
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment