Monday, August 23, 2010

Popcorn! A Healthy Snack!

So today I had my friend's daughter over for the day with my kids, and we decided to have a "sleepover" which basically means that we lay blankets, sleeping bags, and pillows on the ground and watch a movie! They wanted to snack on Popcorn while watching Barbie Thumbelina. So...I whipped out some popcorn kernels and some canola oil and got to work. OMG--how EASY is it to make your own healthy popcorn?!?!

Here's all you need for basic popcorn:


I added about 1/4 of oil to the bottom of a skillet and threw one kernel in and covered it with a lid with the stove on medium-high. Once that kernel pops (it will take a few minutes so be patient!), slowly add enough kernels to cover the bottom of the skillet. (Beware that popcorn grows 30-45 times the starting size after being popped!!! So if you add too much, be prepared for the lid to be pushed off by the force of the popping!) Shake the skillet a little while popping, and voila--you now have a fresh batch of popcorn minus any funky additives!




For the kids, I melted a little bit of organic stick butter and poured it on top of the popcorn and sprinkled a tiny bit of salt over it. They loved it! In fact, I have a picture of them eating it while watching the movie!


Enjoy!
=o)
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment