Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Waffles!



I love when I have an excuse to whip out my heart shaped waffle maker! This morning I decided to find a waffle recipe online that I could use while slipping in my organic ingredients! I originally was looking for a cinnamon waffle recipe, but my daughter begged me to put in chocolate chips, so I thought again and searched for a chocolate chip whole wheat waffle recipe. I stumbled upon this recipe on Kitchen Butterfly!





100% wholewheat chocolate waffles

1 1/2 cups (200g) wholewheat flour
a good pinch of salt
1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder or melted chocolate
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups (400g) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or cinnamon/ground ginger)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or melted butter)
1/4 cup (25g) yogurt

Makes 8 – 10 waffles, measuring ~15cm (6 inches) across

Sift the flour, salt, cocoa, and baking powder into a bowl.

Make a well in the center and add the eggs, milk, vanilla, oil and yogurt and mix well with a ballon whisk until blended and the batter is smooth.

Because you’re using wholegrain flour, you’ll need to let the batter ‘rest’ for about 10 minutes. This allows the grains to absorb the liquids, resulting in softer, fluffier waffles. A bit like giving steaks a rest after cooking!

7-8 minutes into the batter resting, grease the waffle iron or electric waffle maker (follow manufacturer’s instructions if using for the first time).

When the mix is well rested, stir once more to combine then using a large ladle spoon, pour in batter, just enough to fill the hot waffle iron, then close. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the waffles are ready. They should peel away from the top/bottom of the iron when done.

Now you can use this exact same mix to make chocolate pancakes, but add an extra 1/2 cup of milk to thin the batter.



Well, it didn't call for chocolate chips so I thought, why not just throw some in the mix! (The chocolate chips I have are from Trader Joe's.) I also had all of the other ingredients on hand, all in organic form--yay! Who knew that you could buy organic cocoa powder or vanilla, huh? I had no trouble finding these at Earth Fare. There is something about knowing that the ingredients you are using are pesticide-free and the best choice for your family you can buy, even if sometimes that means you spend a little more for them.

Anyway, the waffles were a hit! I made SO many of them, which is great because I can just separate them with wax paper and pop them in the freezer so I have a fun easy breakfast on hand especially now that school is starting tomorrow! (I can't believe my little girl will be starting first grade!!!)

Well, I just wanted to share. Like I said, the only real difference I made, other than using organic ingredients, was to add maybe 1/2 a cup or so of chocolate chips.

Enjoy!

=o)
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment